St. Brigid of Kildare Gathering
A Gathering Festival in Honour of St. Brigid
15 to 21 September 2013
You are invited to come to Kildare Town this September for the St. Brigid of Kildare Gathering Festival. There will be a special welcome “Céad Míle Fáilte” to those named Brigid and those who have variations of the name. We also welcome people from around the world who have an affinity with St. Brigid through parishes, associations, churches and place names, to visitors from Ireland and overseas with an interest in Brigid and her legacy.
The festival is being organised by Solas Bhríde in collaboration with a number of other Kildare based groups and is part of the overall Government supported Gathering Festival 2013.
In addition to a Guinness Book of Records challenge at which we hope to involve all visitors in setting the record for the most people to weave St. Brigid’s crosses, there will be a packed programme of music and dance events in addition to walks, pilgrimages, craft demonstrations and craft workshops, each linking to Brigid and her legacy.
We are just 1.5 hours drive from Dublin airport and 2 hours from Shannon airport and a range of accommodation options are listed on each of www.intokildare.ie and www.discoverireland.ie. More information on what to do in Kildare Town is available from www.destinationkildaretown.ie and also http://www.kildare.ie/kildareheritage/.
You are assured of a very warm welcome in Kildare Town this September and a truly memorable experience celebrating the life of St. Brigid. Please get in touch if you have any questions and we very much hope to see you in September.
Events will include:
- Official Opening & Celebration of St. Brigid *
- Guinness Book of Records Challenge *
- Re-enactment of the Legend of the Cloak of St. Brigid
- Concert in St. Brigid’s Cathedral (€)
- Celtic Music Recital (€)
- Harvest Gathering at St. Brigid’s Well
- Literary Event
- Guided Tour of the Monastic City of Kildare
- Walking in the Footsteps of Brigid of Kildare/ Pilgrimage
- Guided Tour of the Curragh Plains / St. Brigid Pastures
- Weaving of Brigid’s Cross – Craft Workshop
- Craft Workshop: Weaving of Brigid’s Cross
- Craft Participation: Weaving of Wall Hanging
- Craft Exhibitions
- Trad Music / Entertainment in local pubs *
Click here for the provisional programme of events
Unless marked (€) events are free of charge
Events marked * are open access, no tickets or charges apply
All events subject to change, additional events to be added
Event listings last updated: 1 May 2013, please check latest information in July for event bookings