Tradition holds that three Irish knights took a bone fragment of St Brigid to Lumiar in Portugal in the 13th century. The relic is still venerated in the church of St. John the Baptist in Lumiar.
The Brigidine Sisters, Tullow, Co. Carlow, procured a portion of the Lumiar relic in the 1930s. To mark the 1500th anniversary of the death of St. Brigid, the Brigidine sisters presented the Tullow relic to St. Brigid’s Parish Church, Kildare Town on 28th January 2024.
For information on Kildare Heritage Centre events contact: Kildare Heritage, email: email@example.com or phone 045 530672
For information on Kildare Education Centre www.eckildare.ie or phone 045530200
For information on Kildare Town Library firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 045520235
For further information on Brigid 1500 events www.brgid1500.ie